Re: leechcraft (closes ITP bug, 33 days have passed)

Hi,

Boris Pek <Tehnick-8@yandex.ru> writes:
>> I probably won't sponsor the package, but I was wondering if it is
>> really necessary to build 53 binary packages (if I did not miscount)?
>
> The short answer: yes, it is.
>
> Here I can cite the description from my first message:
>> LeechCraft is a free open source cross-platform modular internet-client. It
>> consists of a core which defines common plugin interfaces and a lot of plugins
>> for different purposes. User can install any combination of them to achieve
>> the necessary functionality.
>>
>> The main advantage of such approach is that modules could interact more closely
>> than standalone programs in usual Desktop Environments. Thus, plugins can also
>> rely on functionality provided by each other. Plugins could also have their own
>> plugins: for example, support for different protocols or chat window styles in
>> an IM client.
>
> I made separate packages for each plugin. So user will be able to install only
> those packages which he really need. This is the main idea of the project...
> LeechCraft is very flexible.

This seems to be a bit excessive.  There is no real use in having many
tiny packages for every function; please keep in mind that this will
make the Packages index even larger (which also affects users that do
not even have the package installed).

For example, I think many of the leechcraft-azoth-* packages could be
merged into a single package: they do not seem to be very large nor
introduce large dependencies according to an build log I found on
launchpad[1].

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] <https://launchpadlibrarian.net/84683703/buildlog_ubuntu-precise-i386.leechcraft-unstable_0.4.90-670-g4cccdc3-0ppa1~precise1_BUILDING.txt.gz>