Re: RFS: flex-sdk-4.5

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, Joey Parrish wrote:

No, but my last company used Flex quite a lot, and every new version seemed
to introduce incompatibilities.  Software written for 4.1 won't necessarily
work without modification on 4.5.  So I thought it would make sense to be
prepared to provide multiple versions if/when the need arises.  For now, I
would release the 4.5 package and wait to see if any packages that
build-depend on flex-sdk fail to build with 4.5, in which case they can
instead build-depend on a specific version that we will have ready in
advance.

Well, the only data point I have is yui which works fine with 4.5. I don't know of any other packages in Debian which need flex-sdk yet. So I would wait to cross that bridge when we get to it.

Also when it does become necessary, the easier way will be to use git branches rather than have seperate sets of files.

  It's also possible that after 4.5, Adobe will release 4.6 or 5.0,
in which case I didn't want to be locked into the package name flex-sdk now,
just to have to split into 4.5 and 5.0 packages later.  So multiple versions
is mainly about avoid the assumption that 4.5 is good for everybody, either
now or in the future.  If backward compatibility were maintained by Adobe,
this would be a non-issue, of course.

Oh the package should continue to be called flex-sdk-4.5 absolutely.

I don't have the code in front of me right now, but I believe I removed all
the .exe and .bat files in debian/rules.  I understand why you'd remove them
in the .tar.gz, but I thought that for simplicity's sake, removing
everything from the .tar.gz would wait until we were building from source.
Adobe keeps those in their svn repo, unfortunately.  The .a files may be
necessary, because the SDK is able to produce AIR binaries for mobile
devices.  Ideally, those would also be built from source, but in the mean
time, they should not be deleted from the package, IMO.

The bottom line is if the package contains files for which there is no source code it cannot be included in Debian main. Perhaps the .a files can be split into a seperate (source) package called flex-sdk-nonfree or something.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>