Re: daemon stop and start during upgrade

On 13/09/2007, Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@in-medias-res.com> wrote:
> Felipe Sateler schrieb:
> > Not really. It also depends on how you see it: if I ask some process to
>
> Sure. Thats exactly what I'm saying.
>
> > stop,  I don't care if it was running or not. All I care is that it does
> > end up stopped. I see it like this:
>
> Really? So maybe *you* don't care about the services state when you stop
> it. But *I* could expect it to be running, if I ask it to stop. Because
> something could be wrong, if the service is not running, I want to know
> if it isn't. OTOH its not me requesting the service to stop, but a
> process that can't know that I eventually stopped the service, because I
> wanted to do.

What about adding a 'status' target to the init.d script? I think
that's the way to make sure the exit status is zero nomatter the
daemon is running or not (it should only return a non-zero status if
it failed to check whether the daemon is running or not).
And about how to tell the postinst script whether the daemon was
stopped by the prerm script I think the easiest and safest way to do
it is by storing the information with debconf.