Re: Final Draft: Interpretive Guideline regarding DFSG clause 3

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 04:06:30PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> I fear that one problem here is that I regard "Debian" as comprising
> only the "main" archive.
>
> Since Debian is only main, this is a proposal to remove the Emacs
> and GCC manuals from Debian.

That's quite correct. We're also discussing moving the Gdb manual from
main, and seem to have agreed that that's entirely appropriate.

What I suspect you're becoming confused about though, is thinking that
removing a package from the Debian distribution, and adding it to the
non-free component, harms users even slightly. It doesn't. It is still
trivial to get, still supported, and still gives users the exact same
rights they had previously.

Removing the emacs and gcc manuals from "Debian" isn't such a ghastly
option that it's a complete showstopper, and if you can't comprehend
that, then, IMO, you don't really understand the issues.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt