Re: Final Draft: Interpretive Guideline regarding DFSG clause 3

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 12:47:28PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
> > Is it your contention that the DFSG as written DOES include this
> > "important question"?  What part of DFSG 3 says that Debian doesn't
> > require permission to modify copyright notices and license texts?
>
> The word "software", which word does not include copyright notices,
> license texts, and political commentary.

That's not how the Debian Social Contract and Free Software Guidelines
use the term.

Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software

We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free
software.

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

If my personal wealth is "entirely" cash, do I have any wealth that
isn't cash?

What nuances in the terms "100%" and "entirely" are you struggling with?

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English [gcide]:

  Entirely \En*tire"ly\, adv.
     1. In an entire manner; wholly; completely; fully; as, the
        trace is entirely lost.
        [1913 Webster]

              Euphrates falls not entirely into the Persian Sea.
                                                    --Raleigh.
        [1913 Webster]

     2. Without alloy or mixture; truly; sincerely.
        [1913 Webster]

              To highest God entirely pray.         --Spenser.
        [1913 Webster]

From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:

  entirely
       adv 1: to a complete degree or to the full or entire extent; "he
              was wholly convinced"; "entirely satisfied with the
              meal"; "it was completely different from what we
              expected"; "was completely at fault"; "a totally new
              situation"; "the directions were all wrong"; "It was
              not altogether her fault"; "an altogether new
              approach"; (`whole' is often used informally for
              `wholly' as in "a whole new idea") [syn: {wholly}, {completely},
               {totally}, {all}, {altogether}, {whole}] [ant: {partly}]
       2: without any others being included or involved; "was entirely
          to blame"; "a school devoted entirely to the needs of
          problem children"; "he works for Mr. Smith exclusively";
          "did it solely for money"; "the burden of proof rests on
          the prosecution alone"; "a privilege granted only to him"
          [syn: {exclusively}, {solely}, {alone}, {only}]

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The noble soul has reverence for
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      itself.