[OT] Debian developers (was Re: committee for FSF-Debian discussion)

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 01:29:15PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> That way there would be no need to regard this delegate as a "junior
> partner" to Mako, and we'd have a representative who had gone through
> the stages of the NM process, pledged to uphold the Social Contract, and
> who is formally accountable to the rest of the Project.

OK, this is OT, but this *is* legal so I'll take leave to be a bit more
nitpicky than usual:

Not everyone that is a Debian developer has gone through the NM process or
pleged to uphold the social contract.  I, for instance, became a Debian
developer after sending an e-mail to Bruce and waiting for him to create my
account.  That was back before either new maintainer or the social contract
existed.  And there were already a considerable number of developers in
there before me (though how many are still around, I don't know).

Back then, nobody verified your PGP keys either.  I can't actually recall
how my key got in the ring.  Something tells me it wasn't Bruce, because I
was able to upload packages to chiark before my account got created.  (Or
maybe uploads weren't signed back then.)

<blackhelicopters> Therefore, it is possible that we have Debian developers
on our keyring that are have been using fake identities since 1995 and
totally disagree with the Social Contract.  </blackhelicopters>

For the record, I do pledge to uphold the social contract, and my current
key does have signatures from other developers on it :-)

-- John