Re: [OT] Debian developers (was Re: committee for FSF-Debian discussion)

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 02:35:32PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Not everyone that is a Debian developer has gone through the NM process or
> pleged to uphold the social contract.  I, for instance, became a Debian
> developer after sending an e-mail to Bruce and waiting for him to create my
> account.  That was back before either new maintainer or the social contract
> existed.  And there were already a considerable number of developers in
> there before me (though how many are still around, I don't know).
>
> Back then, nobody verified your PGP keys either.  I can't actually recall
> how my key got in the ring.  Something tells me it wasn't Bruce, because I
> was able to upload packages to chiark before my account got created.  (Or
> maybe uploads weren't signed back then.)

What you say is true.  But that was then, this is now.

One has to have been born a U.S. citizen to be eligible for the office
of president, but we have had presidents who weren't, and even more
candidates for the office who weren't.

How?  Well, those people were born British subjects back when England
had some colonies along the eastern coast of North America, and they
were grandfathered in when the Constitution was adopted.

That doesn't mean we regard people who were born British subjects as
eligible for the office of president today.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Biology is really chemistry.