Re: [OT] Debian developers (was Re: committee for FSF-Debian discussion)

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 02:35:32PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> Not everyone that is a Debian developer has gone through the NM process or
> pleged to uphold the social contract.  I, for instance, became a Debian
> developer after sending an e-mail to Bruce and waiting for him to create my
> account.  That was back before either new maintainer or the social contract
> existed.  And there were already a considerable number of developers in
> there before me (though how many are still around, I don't know).
>
> Back then, nobody verified your PGP keys either.  I can't actually recall
> how my key got in the ring.  Something tells me it wasn't Bruce, because I
> was able to upload packages to chiark before my account got created.  (Or
> maybe uploads weren't signed back then.)
>
> <blackhelicopters> Therefore, it is possible that we have Debian developers
> on our keyring that are have been using fake identities since 1995 and
> totally disagree with the Social Contract.  </blackhelicopters>
>
> For the record, I do pledge to uphold the social contract, and my current
> key does have signatures from other developers on it :-)

Ahh but this message was not signed with said key.  So, we have no proof
that it was written someone in possession of said key.  Thus, the above
pledge isn't even remotely binding.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar