Re: Best "network manager"

Jochen Schulz wrote:

> Bill Moseley:
>>
>> When I'm away from my home lan I create an ssh tunnel from localhost
>> port 2525 to port 25 on my mail machine so sending mail still works.
>> That also means I have to update my exim.conf file's smarthost setting
>> to deliver all mail to localhost:2525.
>
> Why not use the tunnel exclusively? That way you don't have to change
> your MTA's configuration per network.

I'm glad to see I wasn't missing something obvious :-)  That's what I
thought too.

>>  I haven't looked at it yet, but I suppose SMTP AUTH or some other
>>  authentication method would be less work when connecting from
>>  different locations.
>
> I already found it quite hard to set up Postfix (and Exim) for SMTP AUTH
> as a client. The SSH option appeared straight forward to me once I had
> understood the whole concept of SSH tunneling.

Yes.  I used Exim, couldn't get SMTP AUTH to work as I wanted.  Never could
figure out how to configure Postfix.  Finally set up the SSH tunnel as I am
often at a client's site where firewalls and their SMTP configuration make
it impossible to reach some email destinations any other way.
--
derek