Re: Best "network manager"

Bill Moseley:

> When I'm away from my home lan I create an ssh tunnel from localhost
> port 2525 to port 25 on my mail machine so sending mail still works.
> That also means I have to update my exim.conf file's smarthost setting
> to deliver all mail to localhost:2525.

IMHO a good idea. I tunnel almost everything even in my LAN. It's
wireless and to satisfy my paranoia I feel better encrypting everything.

> Is anyone doing something in a similar way, yet automated -- or
> perhaps has a better suggestion?

Why not use the tunnel exclusively? That way you don't have to change
your MTA's configuration per network.

>  I haven't looked at it yet, but I suppose SMTP AUTH or some other
>  authentication method would be less work when connecting from
>  different locations.

I already found it quite hard to set up Postfix (and Exim) for SMTP AUTH
as a client. The SSH option appeared straight forward to me once I had
understood the whole concept of SSH tunneling.

J.
--
My drug of choice is self-pity.
[Agree]   [Disagree]