Re: mkvmlinuz, boot-loaders and powerpc kernels.

Hi,

Sven Luther writes:

> Some kind of alternative dependency on yaboot | quik | mkvmlinuz
> would take care of fullfilling the dependency, without allowing
> cruft to be installed, at least without needing yaboot and quik
> where they are not needed, or letting mkvmlinuz pull in the binutils
> dependency ?

This does not cover the case where a system uses a method outside its
own Debian packaging system, such as BootX or a BootP/TFTP server.
Still, it's probably the best one can do with the control file.

> Jens, would that be an acceptable solution ?

To me this looks like the way to go.  I already exchanged a few
messages with Manoj about a similar issue, namely packaging the boot
glue into /usr/lib/kernel-image-<release>, which is now done by the
debian/rules file of kernel-patch-powerpc.  We ended here:

Jens:

| May I suggest the following: We take care of the above two points by
| adding a sub-architecture `generic' or `official' to powerpc and put
| the necessary commands there.

Manoj:

| 	Sounds like a plan.

Regards, Jens.