Re: powerpc kernel-patch 2.6.6-5 in incoming since over a month !!!

Hi,

Sven Luther writes:

> > The existing mkvmlinuz can do this if you put the line
> > /boot/vmlinuz-$release in /etc/mkvmlinuz/output .

> Well, it doesn't cost much by setting it by hand,

Yes.

> unless we want to set /etc/mkvmlinuz/output to it by default.

There are packages that contain /boot/vmlinuz-$release, the risk of
clobbering that by accident with a default setting is too high for my
taste.

> > mkvmlinuz works for both non-initrd and 2.4 kernels.
>
> Yeah, but what would happen if i tried to install a
> kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-chrp package ? There would be no vmlinux
> for it, and thus the problem.

What exactly is the problem here?  Installing 2.4 and 2.6 side by side?

> Ok. I would still like to have kernel-image... depend on mkvmlinuz
> though.

On many systems it's perfectly reasonable to install a kernel-image
package without mkvmlinuz.  So a dependency is too strong, a
suggestion should be sufficient IMHO.

> > Sounds good.  If Policy doesn't allow 3), the postinst could still
> > check the file and present a warning.
>
> Why should it not ?

Policy is not clear to me there, I need time to understand it.

> You are asking the user if he would like to have it added, a bit
> like passwd or whatever asking about changing the groups and
> such.

Actually, changing of /etc/passwd by base-passwd is explicitly allowed
in the Policy and that's one of the things that puzzles me.  Why do
they bother to allow that one case?

> If this is not allowed by Policy, then the policy is buggy.

In the past, when I thought there was a bug in Policy it eventually
turned out to be in my brain.  Always.

> I hope to have this in the alioth svn repo soon though, and we can
> then start moving the powerpc package there also.

Can you please give me a very brief tutorial for checking things in
and out?

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!