Re: Lancelot locks accessing NTFS partition

Alle Thursday 09 April 2009, Alejandro Exojo ha scritto:
> El Jueves, 9 de Abril de 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. escribió:
> > Can you think how fast a RFS on the debian-mentors list would
> > be denied if accompanied by "I won't have time to deal with bugs, please
> > file them all upstream."?
>
> I maintained two KDE-related packages in Debian, and of course I dealt with
> the bugs I received. But if I alone had to deal with the huge number of
> reports that a popular KDE module receives, I could simply not do it. Of
> course, I could handle the Debian specific problems, or one user from time to
> time who did a tiny mistake reporting it on Debian's BTS.
>
> But not all the users of the package reporting it _on purpose_ as a Debian
> bug. It would be nice if I could, though, but I don't think that almost
> anyone could do that on their free time.
>
> > I get my OS from one source, the Debian repositories (and initially the
> > Debian cdimage ftp server). I should only need to provide feedback to one
> > source: Debian.
>
> Come on: nobody reports to their ISP the problems of 3rd party websites. And
> they don't ask the shop were the bought a Windows box a problem they had with
> the software.
>
> > Maintainers are ultimately responsible for what I receive;
> > *NOT* upstream. If you don't have enough time to *maintain* the package,
> > don't even bother packaging it.
>
> You just maintain the package, that is, the work you do, and the software you
> write, not the rest.
>
> --
> Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
> http://barnacity.net/ | http://disperso.net

Never thought to start a topic like that... Anyhow, premised that none con be forced to do anything in free software, it's clear that from developers to users we are working altogether to make things better contributing in different ways and to different extents. Discussion has moved around the two poles: on a side there are rules, on the other, practical behaviors. Given that you can demonstrate everything you want by paradoxes like: if all users start filing bugs belonging to upstream to DBTS, blah blah or if you don't do a perfect work, then quit, blah blah. Luckily, bugs are not infinite, users are not brainless (almost), but sorely, developers are too few. Now we must check reality and see if someone can join you in developing and users can be so accurate (at least trained) to understand that a bug belongs to upstream. Boyd has made an harsh comment, but very likely IMHO, without meaning to offend anybody here: taking it personally is beyond what he meant. From my good human experience with Computer Scientists, I can say that harsh comments it's a lifestyle for them, a kind of feature. Generally you don't mind this. Now, please let's find the way to work in common.

Valerio