Re: Lancelot locks accessing NTFS partition

El Jueves, 9 de Abril de 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. escribió:
> Can you think how fast a RFS on the debian-mentors list would
> be denied if accompanied by "I won't have time to deal with bugs, please
> file them all upstream."?

I maintained two KDE-related packages in Debian, and of course I dealt with
the bugs I received. But if I alone had to deal with the huge number of
reports that a popular KDE module receives, I could simply not do it. Of
course, I could handle the Debian specific problems, or one user from time to
time who did a tiny mistake reporting it on Debian's BTS.

But not all the users of the package reporting it _on purpose_ as a Debian
bug. It would be nice if I could, though, but I don't think that almost
anyone could do that on their free time.

> I get my OS from one source, the Debian repositories (and initially the
> Debian cdimage ftp server).  I should only need to provide feedback to one
> source: Debian.

Come on: nobody reports to their ISP the problems of 3rd party websites. And
they don't ask the shop were the bought a Windows box a problem they had with
the software.

> Maintainers are ultimately responsible for what I receive;
> *NOT* upstream.  If you don't have enough time to *maintain* the package,
> don't even bother packaging it.

You just maintain the package, that is, the work you do, and the software you
write, not the rest.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2