Re: Lancelot locks accessing NTFS partition

In <[🔎] 200904091620.34787.suy@badopi.org>, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
>El Jueves, 9 de Abril de 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. escribió:
>> I get my OS from one source, the Debian repositories (and initially the
>> Debian cdimage ftp server).  I should only need to provide feedback to one
>> source: Debian.
>
>Come on: nobody reports to their ISP the problems of 3rd party websites.

Debian is not like an ISP.  They don't simply serve as a medium through which
unmodified data passes.  Debian maintainers add to and change upstream to make
Debian a complete system.  If my ISP is routinely, detectably modifying the
data I receive from third parties, they better be prepared to receive come
calls.

>And
>they don't ask the shop were the bought a Windows box a problem they had
> with the software.

Um, yes they do.  Often.  Or at least they did when I worked for a guy that
sold Windows boxes.  Dell/Gateway/HP do plenty of end-user support.

>> Maintainers are ultimately responsible for what I receive;
>> *NOT* upstream.  If you don't have enough time to *maintain* the package,
>> don't even bother packaging it.
>
>You just maintain the package, that is, the work you do, and the software
> you write, not the rest.

Not true.  If there's a security bug in a Debian package, it gets fixed even
if upstream isn't happy with the way Debian does it.  Other bugs should be
handled the same way.  Upstream is a valuable resource for Debian maintainers,
but ultimately they are responsible for what they are providing users.