Re: PO format and new translations (was: Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch

On 20/09/2006, at 4:06 PM, Jens Seidel wrote:

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 03:03:29PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
On 20/09/2006, at 12:21 AM, Frans Pop wrote (in part):

Did he? I did at least not found this mail in my mailbox or at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2006/09/maillist.html.
Maybe it's a private mail to you but I really suspect I loose
mails (yes, I checked my SPAM folder) :-(

I think you must indeed be losing mails somehow if you didn't get Frans' email. :(

I am unsure if I have commit access for the release-notes branch. I

No, you haven't.

Thanks. That's all I needed to know. :)

To add to my general confusion, I'm sorry, I don't understand Thomas'
instructions:

Don't worry about this. I strongly suggest you try it at least and learn from the errors you will made. As long as you do not even try it it's useless to explain each single step. Adding a new language takes me 2 minutes, explaining
trivial steps takes > 20 minutes for various mails.

I know that you do not use Debian but I suggest you really try it (maybe in an emulator such as qemu, bochs, ...) or maybe even with a Live CD or, better, a
proper installation.

I don't think using Debian would help me with my difficulty in learning new things, because it's not software-based. But thanks for the suggestion. :)

It is also difficult to try something when I don't understand the instructions.

However, Frans' answer in the next mail sorts this out for me.

Firstly, I will have to ask someone to create a /vi (release-notes/
ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/vi) directory for me, please.

Why? As soon as your translation is (at least partely) ready, I will of course
create a Makefile for you.

Thankyou. I didn't know that.

Ahm stop! Now I remember that debiandoc-sgml currently does not support Vietnamese. Argh, I remember I asked you (long time ago) for translations of the few words ("Chapter", "Table of Content") used in debiandoc- sgml but the UTF-8 encoding was the stopper. OK, I'm confident that we can at least support HTML and text formats soon. I suggest you start and I will fix this problem.

OK. I think the problem with some of the doc issues for Vietnamese is also that the db2latex translation is shockingly out-of-date and the package now unmaintained, and I'm not sure if the Reference Card, for example, has shifted to dblatex yet. I haven't had time to translate the docbook-xml and docbook-xsl packages yet, either. (I don't know if they are relevant to these release-notes or not.)

If you want a file translated, please just point me to it (but it does need to be UTF8). I have done very little documentation translation and know virtually nothing about how docs. are created and maintained. I've only had time to translate a few docs whose maintainers have asked specifically for translation on a list like this. So please don't assume I know what you're talking about. :)

But I don't think it will contain a Makefile yet, will it?

As long as vi/ doesn't exist, it's unlikely that (the non existing) vi/ will contain a Makefile. Also adding a directory does not fill it automatically with
files :-))

No kidding. :D I always thought a Makefile had something to do with the build process!

I asked for the directory to be created in case I needed to commit the files, since I couldn't create a directory myself at that stage. However, now I can leave all that to the maintainers. :)

I was trying to follow your instructions about putting Makefiles into LL directories. Since I didn't have a directory, nor a Makefile, I thought they might need to be created before I could do anything with them.

For condition 3.:
* Makefile.common.diff is needed, because $(wildcard *.sgml) is
 evaluated before the sgml file has been generated.
* Makefile.diff avoids to stop the whole build if the generation
failed.

We need to place these two files in our LL directory?

I don't understand you.

Well, I didn't understand those instructions. I tried to guess what they meant, and asked if my guess were correct. Perhaps it would have been better if I just said I didn't understand them, and asked you to explain them.

And (sorry for so many questions, but this is new to me, and I have
difficulty understanding new things) where do I find my release-
notes.vi.po file?

I (or Frans if he is faster) will send you a template file. Frans, maybe you should provide a default (and up-to-date) one in you home directory? I would prefer not to commit generated stuff to CVS, especially as only
one person wants this for now.

OK.

Thankyou for your work on this, to make the release-notes available
in PO format. :)

As I told already this requires only adapting of a few lines of code
(~ 5 lines). That's not much work and can easily be done for other projects
as well if needed. Until now nobody asked for this yet (expect for
release-notes).

It's still good to have it available. :)