PO format and new translations (was: Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch

On 20/09/2006, at 12:21 AM, Frans Pop wrote (in part):

- Is a POT file created anywhere? How would someone start a new
  translation? Or does the "update-po" target handle that as well?
- Could you add some documentation? Preferably including instructions
  how to convert an existing translation to use po4a and how to start
  a new translation.

I need to create a new translation for the Etch release notes: there has not been a Vietnamese translation before. I do prefer to work with PO files (or XLIFF).

I am unsure if I have commit access for the release-notes branch. I do for the D-I manual, but I don't know if that's the same area. I did try to checkout the module using my Alioth username and ssh, but the ssh didn't work, just asking me for a password (I'm runnning ssh- agent and ssh-keychain) three times then failing. Then again, I initially had exactly the same login woes when first accessing other Debian modules to which I had write access.

So I'm confused. How do I check if I have commit access for the release-notes?

Meanwhile, I've checked out the module anonymously.

To add to my general confusion, I'm sorry, I don't understand Thomas' instructions:

I've created the few patches needed to integrate po4a in the build
process. Everything is available at
  http://haydn.debian.org/~thuriaux-guest/po4a/ddp/
To activate po4a for your language (condition 1.), you should include
Makefile.common.po4a from your <ll>/Makefile, by adding the following
line:
  include $(CURDIR)/../Makefile.common.po4a

Firstly, I will have to ask someone to create a /vi (release-notes/ ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/vi) directory for me, please.

But I don't think it will contain a Makefile yet, will it?

Thomas, do you mean: we should paste that line:

  include $(CURDIR)/../Makefile.common.po4a

into our Makefile (when we have one)?

PO files look like (part of condition 2.):
  release-notes.fr.po
This is far from the results of debiandoc2pot.

That format is fine with me. (I have used po4a a few times, BTW.)

For condition 3.:
* Makefile.common.diff is needed, because $(wildcard *.sgml) is
  evaluated before the sgml file has been generated.
* Makefile.diff avoids to stop the whole build if the generation failed.

We need to place these two files in our LL directory?

The only constraint is that the original document should be "more valid",
especially with conditional inclusions.
See for example
http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/en/release- notes.en.sgml?root=debian-doc&r1=1.69&r2=1.70
that fixes some of the problems, and release-notes.en.sgml.diff
(not yet committed) fixes the remaining one.

I don't understand this, but perhaps I have to create a translation first.

Last thing to know: addenda should be added to the <ll>/addenda/
directory, with the name <foo>.add. They will be automatically included.

Which addenda would these be?

And (sorry for so many questions, but this is new to me, and I have difficulty understanding new things) where do I find my release- notes.vi.po file?

Thankyou for your work on this, to make the release-notes available in PO format. :)