Re: PO format and new translations (was: Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch

On 20/09/2006, at 5:17 PM, Frans Pop wrote:

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 07:33, Clytie Siddall wrote:
I need to create a new translation for the Etch release notes: there
has not been a Vietnamese translation before. I do prefer to work
with PO files (or XLIFF).

As you will be starting a new translation, I strongly suggest that you
wait a bit until the Release Notes have actually been updated for Etch. Starting now will only mean that you will have to do a lot of double work.

Also, the infrastructure for translating using PO files is not yet in
place.

Thanks for that advice, Frans. I'm in no hurry: I'm happy to start when things are ready.

My mail was only a first announcement and for languages who already have a
translation it _does_ make sense to start now. For new translations it
does not.
I will send a new announcement when it does.

OK. :)

The release notes are in CVS, not SVN. So indeed you do not have commit
access.

Sorry to get muddled. With a number of different projects, and committing via both CVS and SVN in different ones, I lose track a bit.