Re: PO format and new translations (was: Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 03:03:29PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 20/09/2006, at 12:21 AM, Frans Pop wrote (in part):

Did he? I did at least not found this mail in my mailbox or at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2006/09/maillist.html.
Maybe it's a private mail to you but I really suspect I loose
mails (yes, I checked my SPAM folder) :-(

> I am unsure if I have commit access for the release-notes branch. I

No, you haven't. The Release Notes can be found in the DDP CVS (Debian
Documenation System), see http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp.

Send your translation to debian-doc@lists.debian.org or to me and Frans
in private mail to get it integrated.

> do for the D-I manual, but I don't know if that's the same area. I

Please look at the URL. You have access to a few projects on Alioth but
the DDP is not related to Alioth at all!

> So I'm confused. How do I check if I have commit access for the
> release-notes?

You don't have access and I would prefer if people get only access if they
check for build failures before committing ... I can very quickly commit
patches for you and others ...

> To add to my general confusion, I'm sorry, I don't understand Thomas'
> instructions:

Don't worry about this. I strongly suggest you try it at least and learn from
the errors you will made. As long as you do not even try it it's useless to
explain each single step. Adding a new language takes me 2 minutes, explaining
trivial steps takes > 20 minutes for various mails.

I know that you do not use Debian but I suggest you really try it (maybe in an
emulator such as qemu, bochs, ...) or maybe even with a Live CD or, better, a
proper installation.

> Firstly, I will have to ask someone to create a /vi (release-notes/
> ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/vi) directory for me, please.

Why? As soon as your translation is (at least partely) ready, I will of course
create a Makefile for you.

Ahm stop! Now I remember that debiandoc-sgml currently does not support
Vietnamese. Argh, I remember I asked you (long time ago) for translations of
the few words ("Chapter", "Table of Content") used in debiandoc-sgml but the
UTF-8 encoding was the stopper. OK, I'm confident that we can at least support
HTML and text formats soon. I suggest you start and I will fix this problem.

> But I don't think it will contain a Makefile yet, will it?

As long as vi/ doesn't exist, it's unlikely that (the non existing) vi/ will
contain a Makefile. Also adding a directory does not fill it automatically with
files :-))

> >For condition 3.:
> >* Makefile.common.diff is needed, because $(wildcard *.sgml) is
> >  evaluated before the sgml file has been generated.
> >* Makefile.diff avoids to stop the whole build if the generation
> >failed.
>
> We need to place these two files in our LL directory?

I don't understand you.

> And (sorry for so many questions, but this is new to me, and I have
> difficulty understanding new things) where do I find my release-
> notes.vi.po file?

I (or Frans if he is faster) will send you a template file. Frans, maybe
you should provide a default (and up-to-date) one in you home directory?
I would prefer not to commit generated stuff to CVS, especially as only
one person wants this for now.

> Thankyou for your work on this, to make the release-notes available
> in PO format. :)

As I told already this requires only adapting of a few lines of code
(~ 5 lines). That's not much work and can easily be done for other projects
as well if needed. Until now nobody asked for this yet (expect for
release-notes).

Jens