Re: PO format and new translations (was: Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch

Hi Clytie,

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 04:24:28PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 20/09/2006, at 4:06 PM, Jens Seidel wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 03:03:29PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> >>On 20/09/2006, at 12:21 AM, Frans Pop wrote (in part):
> >
> >Did he? I did at least not found this mail in my mailbox or at
> >http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2006/09/maillist.html.
> >Maybe it's a private mail to you but I really suspect I loose
> >mails (yes, I checked my SPAM folder) :-(
>
> I think you must indeed be losing mails somehow if you didn't get
> Frans' email. :(

The amount of recieved mails from Debian mailing lists is reduced every day.
Maybe it's just that everyone is in holidays but the rate reduced by up to 80%
which could indicate a problem somewhere. (Maybe it's SourceForge which drops
too many mails so that I got unsubscribed?)

Also Frans mail is still not in the archive! Please confirm that it was
send to the list.

> >>Firstly, I will have to ask someone to create a /vi (release-notes/
> >>ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/vi) directory for me, please.
> >
> >Why? As soon as your translation is (at least partely) ready, I
> >will of course
> >create a Makefile for you.

I mean "directory" instead of "Makefile" but it's not wrong as I wrote it. The
person who commits your translation needs of course to ensure that a proper
Makefile exists and should first test your translation for (e.g. SGML) syntax
errors.

> Thankyou. I didn't know that.

> >Ahm stop! Now I remember that debiandoc-sgml currently does not
> >support
> >Vietnamese. Argh, I remember I asked you (long time ago) for
> >translations of
> >the few words ("Chapter", "Table of Content") used in debiandoc-
> >sgml but the
> >UTF-8 encoding was the stopper. OK, I'm confident that we can at
> >least support
> >HTML and text formats soon. I suggest you start and I will fix this
> >problem.
>
> OK. I think the problem with some of the doc issues for Vietnamese is
> also that the db2latex translation is shockingly out-of-date and the

No, I did not mean missing translations of documentation tools but missing
support in such tools. Adding support of a new language needs at least a
basic understanding of this language. (Does Chinese use whitespaces, ...?)

> package now unmaintained, and I'm not sure if the Reference Card, for
> example, has shifted to dblatex yet. I haven't had time to translate
> the docbook-xml and docbook-xsl packages yet, either. (I don't know
> if they are relevant to these release-notes or not.)

Release Notes still use debiandoc-sgml which is SGML not DocBook/XML
(but they are similar). A sample Vietnamese LaTeX document would be nice for
adaption, so that I could copy all required parts (fonts, macro packages) from
it :-)

> If you want a file translated, please just point me to it (but it

I did so already (and recieved a translation) but could not integrate it
because there was no UTF-8 support at this time. Now it's available ...

> does need to be UTF8). I have done very little documentation
> translation and know virtually nothing about how docs. are created

> >>But I don't think it will contain a Makefile yet, will it?
> >
> >As long as vi/ doesn't exist, it's unlikely that (the non existing)
> >vi/ will
> >contain a Makefile. Also adding a directory does not fill it
> >automatically with
> >files :-))
>
> No kidding. :D  I always thought a Makefile had something to do with
> the build process!

It has, as it controls the commands to update the HTML, PDF, ... documents.
My point was that a creating a single and empty vi/ directory (to which you
referred) via "mkdir vi;cvs add vi/" or a "svn mkdir vi/" does of course not
add other files. These files need to be created by a human. If you provide
also such files, great! Otherwise someone else will care about it :-)

> I asked for the directory to be created in case I needed to commit
> the files, since I couldn't create a directory myself at that stage.

You can! If you have write access to a repository you can also create new
directories. A few project may use fine tuned access right to allow you only
access to a special subdirectory such as vi/, but in general you can touch,
remove and add everything you want!

> However, now I can leave all that to the maintainers. :)

Yep.

> >>We need to place these two files in our LL directory?
> >
> >I don't understand you.
>
> Well, I didn't understand those instructions. I tried to guess what

Ah, now I think I understand. You referred to a special language directory
such as vi/ using LL.

> >I (or Frans if he is faster) will send you a template file. Frans,
>
> OK.

Since work has not already started you should not expect this the next days as
Frans explained.

Jens