Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de> writes:

> And I have to agree with Emilio that I don't see the point of a 1:1
> relationship of ddeb to binary package just for the sake of library
> transitions.  I wonder if we could just unpack the debugging build-id
> objects to some other location than globally and point gdb to that in
> addition to the global debug store.

The thing is, there's no significant *drawback* to a 1:1 relationship that
I can see, and it makes this use case easier.  The only drawback stated so
far is that one may need to add Replaces in the rare case of an identical
binary in multiple packages.  I doubt there are more than 30 or 40 such
packages in the entire archive.  So it seems like a bad idea to me to
break this.

> Someone should've pointed a summary of how Ubuntu does it, it seems.

Yes.  Please don't assume Debian Developers have any idea what Ubuntu is
doing.  :)