Re: #195752: Can somebody mark this bug as grave or critical?

also sprach Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> [2006.07.03.2319 +0200]:
> I have in the past had a server on a local area network where the
> network administrators refused to assign a static IP address.  But
> they would set things up to promise to always give me the same IP
> address every time by DHCP and not assign that address to anyone
> else.  But they wanted me to promise not to configure it as
> a static address on my server, because if something should go
> wrong, it was important that I be a good Net Citizen and not use
> an address which might have been (accidentally) given to
> a different computer on the network.

In such a situation, I have set up fake DHCP clients, verified the
result, and email me when things changed. And behind that, a static
entry in /e/n/i. :)

`. `'`

... the ravenous bugblatter beast of traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid
animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you --
daft as a bush, but very very ravenous);
            -- douglas adams, "the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"