Re: Description of tasks

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 01:32:38AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > Au contraire. Look at what happened in release management --
> >  people were inducted as journeymen rm's, and learned hands on.
> And still haven't got full powers; as far as I can tell, all they can do is
> poke the hint scripts, which is nice, but *far* from the RM's job.

Because we need only one RM. In case the RM ever steps down, or is
replaced, I'm sure you and I both know who has the best chance of
becoming the next RM.

> >  No document is ever likely to be as comprehensive.  Instead of
> >  burdening people who do the work with the task of spoon feeding
> >  people, let the people interested in the roles put in some effort.
> Yes.  I hereby volunteer to be an FTPmaster and an AM.  What?  You don't
> want my help?
>
> Perhaps because I'm not a DD yet?... well, what exactly is wrong with the
> system then?...

Nothing. We cannot trust everyone to properly maintain our servers, so a
line needs to be drawn. That line currently lies at "those who are
Debian Developers already".

> <snip>
> > When the previous secretary went missing, I stepped in, read
> >  the constitution, and wrote devotee. And coped. This is not rocket
> >  science, people. Stop wanting to be spoon fed.
>
> Would Debian perhaps be better off if some other project members "went
> missing" so that other people could learn their jobs?  Surely it's better
> if new people learn the job *without* requiring a vacancy in advance?
> *sigh*

That'd be better, yes; but it's not as if it's the only way. As Manoj
said, it's not rocket science.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks