Re: Description of tasks

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:04:26 +0200, Ingo Juergensmann
> <ij@2004.bluespice.org> said:
>
>> And: current officers tend to not let other people in to do their
>> work.  If those make a secret out of their job, it's really unlikely
>> that others can take over their jobs - and thus making it easy to
>> argue: "hey, there's simply noone else that can make my job!"
>
> Hmm. I am working 50 hour weeks, and put in around 15-20
>  hours a week on my packages, working on policy bugs, and putting in
>  the work that lets these GR's go off fairly glitch-free, and you
>  wonder why I don't spend more time making notes about what I do
>  (most of which is fairly vosoble and routine)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Assuming you mean "visible", that's how you differ from several other role
groups.

<snip>
>> And you could harm the project when you're loaded with real life
>> work, so you can't do your Debian work as much as you should do.
>
> That is certainly true for me. So, you want to replace me now?
Do you have an assistant?  Would you like one?

<snip>
> Au contraire. Look at what happened in release management --
>  people were inducted as journeymen rm's, and learned hands on.
And still haven't got full powers; as far as I can tell, all they can do is
poke the hint scripts, which is nice, but *far* from the RM's job.

>  No
>  document is ever likely to be as comprehensive.  Instead of
>  burdening people who do the work with the task of spoon feeding
>  people, let the people interested in the roles put in some effort.
Yes.  I hereby volunteer to be an FTPmaster and an AM.  What?  You don't
want my help?

Perhaps because I'm not a DD yet?... well, what exactly is wrong with the
system then?...

<snip>
> When the previous secretary went missing, I stepped in, read
>  the constitution, and wrote devotee. And coped. This is not rocket
>  science, people. Stop wanting to be spoon fed.

Would Debian perhaps be better off if some other project members "went
missing" so that other people could learn their jobs?  Surely it's better
if new people learn the job *without* requiring a vacancy in advance?
*sigh*