Re: Debian Color Themes, Galeon-Snapshot progress, orpahned packages

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:31:12PM +0100, Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org> was heard to say:
> The code right now is a small perl script employing lot's of hashes ;)
> I guess you can write faster code with the libraries you wrote for
> aptitude; so probably you won't even look at my code ;)
> (after all it can't do anything aptitudes browser cannot)

  Yes it can...it can serve as a Web frontend :)

  The aptitude code is basically C++ with lots of hashes (or at least
STL maps, which are balanced binary trees -- I don't remember offhand
whether hashes as such are used)

> >   Hmm....this has given me an idea.  I wonder if it would be worthwhile
> > to make this editable over the Web? (maybe like Wiki, although you might
> > want it to be a little less 'open' than that..anyone can scribble over
> > Wiki, right?)
>
> Yep, anyone can scribble there. But it is a nice idea: have the users
> categorize applications themselves. Should be quite easy to set up; and
> as there's nothing to gain by adding false entries, few people will do
> so. But the keywords must be easy to understand.

  True, although we might see the Church of Emacs adding it to every
category..

  About the keyboards: you could make the set of keywords editable as well,
although I think that's more likely to encourage ..... not abuse but
poorly thought-out changes.

> > woefully incomplete but mostly consistent one)  Also, even if the
> > set of authorized editors is restricted, making a friendly interface to
> > edit it might be a great way to solicit non-developer help in extending
> > the categorization.
>
> A "quantity instead of quality" categorization is a good place to start.
> One could also make some kind of voting ;)
> Does this application fit into the category "gnome", and people can vote
> "yes" and "no". That should remove false categorizations.

  True -- as you can see from reading Slashdot, moderation by users can
lead to a great deal of consistency ;-)  In this context it would even
be desirable.

> P.S. Today i passed a test in Stochastics/Statistics with a surprisingly
> good result of 1.0 (the best grade)... maybe i'll get less depressive
> again... Still one more test to do on Monday, and then work hard to redo
> the test i failed (to the surprise of all whom i explained the very same
> subject i failed at before ...)

  Glad to hear that :)

  Daniel

|      You are standing west of a white house.  There is a mailbox here.      |
\------------- Got APT? -- Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org ------------/