Re: is Debian an anarchist organization/project?

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:06, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > I've heard some people saying that Debian is a good example of
> > anarchy in action.  If it is, how does that fit in with the statement
> > mimeographed below?  Maybe we aren't anarchist after all...  What should
> > I tell people who ask if Debian is anarchic?
>
> I think the free software community as a whole is a better example of
> anarchy in action.
>
> Debian elects a minority of individuals to have power over other members.
>
> Debian has policy.

I think that Debian is more like the Roman republic.  Debian developers have
great independance in setting policy due to a relaxed attitude to
enforcement, and when there are disputes it comes to a vote of developers.
When it comes to a vote only developers can vote just as only patricians voted
in Rome.

NB  This is not just a matter of the decisions being made by the people doing
the work.  Upstream maintainers do a lot of work, but as they aren't Debian
developers we can choose to ignore their requests.  There are many times when
I have disagreed with the upstream developers on how software should be
packaged, I just do it the way I think is best and it's not a problem.