Re: is Debian an anarchist organization/project?

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:23:35 +0100
Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:

> I think that Debian is more like the Roman republic.  Debian developers
> have great independance in setting policy due to a relaxed attitude to
> enforcement, and when there are disputes it comes to a vote of
> developers. When it comes to a vote only developers can vote just as
> only patricians voted in Rome.

In theory debian developers can vote on a general resolution to solve
their differences, but in practice its different, disputes usually get
solved via hostile arguments leading one party into giving up out of
frustration :)

When was the last general resolution (not counting elections) that was
properly voted on, i remember we nearlly had a vote once about non-free
software, thats the only one i remember in the last 2 years.

Glenn