Re: tarballs - why in SVN?

On 14/08/06, Reinhard Tartler <siretart@tauware.de> wrote:
Alexander Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org> writes:
> * Reinhard Tartler <siretart@tauware.de> [060814 12:35]:
>
>> I'd prefer having the full source in svn. At least for the packages
>> 'scorched3d' and 'openal', possibly for 'freealut' as well.
>
> May I ask why?  We rarely change anything of upstream, and even then the
> consesus seems to be to use some kind of patch management system.  So
> why do we put the full source under version control?

At least for scorched3d, I actively work with upstream on the current
cvs to get our patches merged in. Openal/Freealut is on my list and comes
when I'm happy with scorched3d.

This is NOT about keeping the whole unpacked source in SVN, but about
the tarballs.

>> As I don't use svn-buildpackage at all, removing the source from the
>> SVN makes it painful for me to construct the source package.
>
> wget http://our.project.webspace/package-foo.orig.tar.gz

Do all members have access to put files in that place? where is it
Yes

actually?
The local path on alioth is /var/lib/gforge/chroot/home/groups/pkg-games/htdocs:

Homepage Link: pkg-games.alioth.debian.org

Group shell (SSH) server: pkg-games.alioth.debian.org

Group directory on shell server:
/var/lib/gforge/chroot/home/groups/pkg-games

Project WWW directory on shell server:
/var/lib/gforge/chroot/home/groups/pkg-games/htdocs

> tar -xzvf package-foo.orig.tar.gz
> cd package-foo
> svn export /where/ever/the/debian/dir/is
> dpkg-builspackage -uc -us -S -rfakeroot
> Done.
>
> Doesn't seem that painfull to me; you need to do most of that anyway.

I prefer this:

svn co svn+ssh://costa.debian.org/ build-dir
cd build-dir
debuild -b

That is not too different from (if only #377880 would be fixed):

svn co svn+ssh://costa.debian.org/ build-dir
cd build-dir
svn-buildpackage

If I change something upstream, I can commit it in place. Creating a
source package for uploading requires manual care anyway. This way, I
don't have to configure svn-buildpackage in all chroots to point to
the orig tarball.

I never do that. I just hardlink the orig tarball in a directory of
the chroot (using pbuilder) and with the help of debian/svn-deblayout
(see oolite non-free package), you don't have to worry. Pbuilder
allows you to run some commands in the chroot after unpacking. Put
those in a script in ~/bin and you're set.

(yes, I have many chroots, as I'm testbuilding in both debian and
ubuntu chroots)

I have only base.tgz-s with sid and sarge, I found that my chroots
often get poluted, but that can't happen with pbuilder unless you
actively want to do it.

EddyP