Re: tarballs - why in SVN?

At 1155573406 past the epoch, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> May I ask why?  We rarely change anything of upstream, and
> even then the consesus seems to be to use some kind of
> patch management system.  So why do we put the full source
> under version control?

Ouch. I thought patch management systems for debian packages
were a halfway-house solution, the full solution being what
we have, i.e. a proper VCS.

I've had a lot of problems hacking on debian packages that
used things like cdbs, dpatch, etc., although that might
just be the way those packages were written rather than the
patch system itself.

Perhaps a survey of what different packages in pkg-games are
using would be useful. FWIW, at present I prefer having
upstream in branches/upstream/current and using svn diff.

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/