Re: vote

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 07:36:25PM -0400, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> Dan, would you please just go away if you don't want to help? You seem to only
> want to ensure that no Debian-BSD ever happens, and you try to discourage
> anyone who is interested in it. That's not constructive.

All I'm trying to do is save you folks the trouble
of wasting your time doing something, well, stupid.  Things
that would be really stupid are:

-Using ext2fs as your filesystem
-Using GNU libc

And, in my opinion, the following aren't wise decisions either:
-Going through and removing every BSD tool with a GNU replacement

The first isn't an intelligent decision because a strong advantage
of BSD over Linux is the filesystem.  You'd be throwing that away
if you used ext2fs.

The second isn't that smart because BSD libc is 1.  Already working
with the BSD kernel, 2. Proven- major version (read: incompatible) bumps
are much more rare (I was using Debian Linux when the libc5->glibc
conversion occured, and it was painful), and 3. If you need glibc
is some incantation, for whatever reason, it's available under
linux compat.

I don't think the third is smart only because it seems that it is
a lot of effort with very little results.

> As for the need for this project, _I_ think if it is successful, the need for
> FreeBSD and NetBSD might become imaginary. After all, the Debian way is clearlY
> superior.

I'm just trying to contribute facts and knoweldge as someone who
has used Debian, FreeBSD, and NetBSD, and as an active FreeBSD user
/contributor who knows what would be worth your effort and what wouldn't.

You could do any of the three, it's no skin off my nose, but I've
presented reasons why not.  You can ignore my advice if you'd like,
but please note that none of my advice has any bias or whatnot- I'm
just trying to help.

As for the worthfulness of this project in general, I do understand
why some folks may want to see dpkg/apt (because they are comfortable
and do not want to learn the BSD package system) - and I think
that would be a worthwhile thing to accomplish.

> Now can we go back to _how_ to do things?

Isn't that what we're discussing?

You do have to plan before you act...

--
Dan Papasian               | ICQ UIN- 1240015
bugg@sometvshow.com        | AIM-      bugg42

Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules.
Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.