Re: vote

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 09:43:21PM +0200, Andreas Krennmair wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 03:30:34PM -0400, Dan Papasian wrote:
> > I sense that a lot of the need for this project is imagined;
> > BSD tools have been upgraded and kept modern as well- and
> > considering, especially in NetBSD, their proven robustness
> > and portability, it seems almost backwards to be replacing
> > the BSD toolset with the GNU toolset.
> You don't want to start a flamewar, do you? :)

I did not mean to let any personal beliefs about either toolset
leak through, but what I simply mean is that the BSD toolset and
the BSD kernel are a proven combination; mixing and matching various
toolsets with other kernels probably wouldn't be disasterous, but
it would probably be counterproductive.

I'd have a same negative response to anyone who wanted to do
the exact opposite- it's too much effort for not enough result.

> Anyway, the Debian utilities are usually assuming a GNU system, with
> bash and all the GNU utilities with their "proprietary" extension
> (proprietary in this context means not being in any standard; free
> software defined like the FSF does can never be proprietary).

Many of these extensions exist in modern BSDs as well.

--
Dan Papasian               | ICQ UIN- 1240015
bugg@sometvshow.com        | AIM-      bugg42

A single death is a tragedy.  A million deaths is a
statistic.
	--Josef Stalin