Re: [Debian-in-workers] Re: GTK frontend update and maybe time for an experimental netinst cd?

Eddy Petrişor wrote:
On 9/12/05, Attilio Fiandrotti <fiandro@tiscalinet.it> wrote:

Christian Perrier wrote:

i've noticed that in Anaconda, every time i change the installation
languge, cdrom is accessed and some more megs of memory occupied: this
because the new font is loaded from cd while other ones are kept in memory.
I think that we should retrive font packages from cdrom only for the
used language while removing the unneded ones: do we already a
technology that is capable of doing this task?

Well, actually, because localechooser displays languge names not only
in English but also in the various languages, we actually need all
fonts for it. Well, if that happens to be a problem, we can revert
this back but such feature is here since woody installer, so, it would
be a serious step back.

I understand this but we're now no longer able to GTK-boot a pc with
only 64 megs of ram even if we use only latin fonts.
Imagine what if we include ALL the fonts on the cd and those fonts have
to be unpacked all togheter (example: ttf-arphic-uming for chinese, as
suggested on this ml)

What about a realy special font that contains _only_ the glyphs
necessary to display all the countries' names?

Then load the font, when necessary into the RAM, from the CD?

This way we'll need to include only that font package udeb in the initrd, since other fonts will be retrived later from cdrom, right? This could be a good idea: is this possible to do? and WHO is going to do it? i suppose we'll have to tell fontconfig to use the proper fonts instead of the hacky-one after they are loaded from cd, too: is there any fontconfig expert here?

ciao

Attilio