Re: GTK frontend update and maybe time for an experimental netinst cd?

> who can help us in choosing the right font packages? and who will build
> the corresponding udebs? (i suppose all the fonts you're mentioning are
> available as standrad .debpackage sonly, right?) maybe the same
> mantainers of the corresponding packages?
> Since size matters what kind of font should we use? vectorial
> (truetype,adobe type 1) or bitmapped?

I think we'll more easily find True Type fonts, but I may be wrong and
I'm not a font wizard.

Here is the current list of fonts on my system.

ttf-bangla-fonts				install
ttf-bengali-fonts				install
ttf-devanagari-fonts				install
ttf-freefont					install
ttf-gujarati-fonts				install
ttf-indic-fonts					install
ttf-kannada-fonts				install
ttf-malayalam-fonts				install
ttf-oriya-fonts					install
ttf-punjabi-fonts				install
ttf-tamil-fonts					install
ttf-telugu-fonts				install

Besides ttf-freefont, all these are needed for some Indic scripts
languages (which I don't read....I just want to be sure I can display them).

I have to admit that I have installed all of these rudely, without
taking care of which is nedded for what language. Many of these have
one of the Indic language names in their name, so I just can guess
that each is appropriate for one of these languages.

Anyway, debian-in-workers will help us here. Definitely.

So, folks, our goal is here to decide *which* fonts are actually
mandatory to display your languages.

Other fonts on my system:

x-ttcidfont-conf				install
xfonts-100dpi					install
xfonts-100dpi-transcoded			install
xfonts-75dpi					install
xfonts-75dpi-transcoded				install
xfonts-base					install
xfonts-base-transcoded				install
xfonts-efont-unicode				install
xfonts-efont-unicode-ib				install
xfonts-intl-arabic				install
xfonts-intl-asian				install
xfonts-intl-chinese				install
xfonts-intl-chinese-big				install
xfonts-intl-european				install
xfonts-intl-japanese				install
xfonts-intl-japanese-big			install
xfonts-intl-phonetic				install
xfonts-konsole					install
xfonts-scalable					install
xfonts-thai-ttf					deinstall

As soon as we decide which fonts we will need, then we need to get in
touch with the maintainer and ask him/her to create a udeb (through a
bug report.....but we might need to *help* maintainers with patches).

We have the ttf-freefont as a model so building patches for udeb
production should be easy.