Re: GTK frontend update and maybe time for an experimental netinst cd?

Eugeniy Meshcheryakov wrote:
9 вересня 2005 о 18:08 +0200 Petter Reinholdtsen написав(-ла):

[Eugeniy Meshcheryakov]

Fonts:         ttf-freefont-udeb

No it is not enough.

What font package can be used instead?  Which font configuration will
be enough?

Several font packages. If someone knows how to tell fontconfig to get
different ranges of characters from different fonts (Latin, Cryrillic,
Greek, Hebrew from "Free Arial", Devanagari from "Lohit Hindi", Korean
syllables from "Baekmuk Dotum" ...) we can use several font files. If
not, we will net to modify fonts in order to remove "bad" ranges (Devanagari from "Arial Free", Latin & Cyrillic from "Baekmuk Dotum"...).
I worked on program for removing unneeded glyphs and it works for some
fonts but it do not support some opentype tables (such as used in "Lihit
Hindi" and "Baekmuk Dotum"). Also I am not sure what font(s) to use for
Japanese and Chinese.

who can help us in choosing the right font packages? and who will build the corresponding udebs? (i suppose all the fonts you're mentioning are available as standrad .debpackage sonly, right?) maybe the same mantainers of the corresponding packages? Since size matters what kind of font should we use? vectorial (truetype,adobe type 1) or bitmapped?
who takes care of font issues in Debian?

ciao

attilio