Re: bootable, rootable, base, and the rest

In message <[🔎] 19990710104454.A6287@gondor.apana.org.au> you wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 02:35:49PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> Um, ok.  Well, can you explain why not?  AFAIK, you just made the WD
>> SCSI driver a module rather than in the kernel -- I'd be willing to
>> sacrifice WD users for aic7xxx users (since aic must outnumbers wd by
>> 10 to 1 or so).

>Because this is not the right solution to the problem.  If I did this
>everytime there was a conflict in someone's system, soon there will be
>no ISA devices left in the kernel.

I agree it's suboptimal, but it's better to eliminate the capability
of WD if it allows Adaptec to work.  Compromise, yes, but also
practical.  I personally think the fact that aic7xxx doesn't work
even in slink is unacceptable (remember, no one can conceive of a potato
release prior to late October, and that's far-fetched).

>> What would it take to get this released?  Do you need more testing of?
>> Does Enrique have this kernel?  Should I pester him to build a version
>> of boot-floppies with this kernel for testing?

>If you mean the kernel-image without the WD driver, it's up to the person
>who is packaging the relevant boot-floppies, which in this case is you,
>isn't it?

No, it's Enrique.  I'm just the "facilitator" -- my job is to pester
people. ;)

Do you have a URL where the package can be found so then I then pester
Enrique to do a rebuild using that?