Re: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de (Martin Bialasinski) writes:

> >> "TL" == Torsten Landschoff <t.landschoff@gmx.net> writes:
>
> TL> On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 04:26:10AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> >> `it' being something the administrator himself (herself? do female UNIX
> >> admins exist?) makes.
> >>
> >> Adding a --never-replace-configfile option for dpkg should do the trick.
>
> TL> What if the old configfile is incompatible with the new package?
> TL> Let's say the configuration of inetd changes to look like that of
> TL> xinetd :)
>
> The admin has to take care of this. If I start a update on 20 boxes, I
> clearly don't want to press y or n on every of them multiple times. So
> I opt for "don't replace". On my model, every configfile comes from a
> repository on a central server (so I can recreate a box easily after a
> n accident), so I prepare then beforehand anyway.

That should be done by the database. The question will query the
(common to the pool) database and when not finding an answere, a
question will pop up. Then you can answere "No, nEver, Yes, Allways"
or simmilar. No and yes would be for the one box and this time only,
never and allways for all boxes and every time the question is
queried. Since all boxes in a pool use the same database, once you
answered on one of them with never or allways, all of them will do
that.

Of cause a mechanism must be provided that when two boxes ask the same
question at the same time (i.e. befor it got answere on the first one,
the second also asks) that answering on one will notify the other.

> [The mechanism of distribution the conffiles would do some
> substitution like hostname etc.]
>
> So, no problem.
>
> Ciao,
> 	Martin