Re: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

>> "TL" == Torsten Landschoff <t.landschoff@gmx.net> writes:

TL> On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 04:26:10AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

>> `it' being something the administrator himself (herself? do female UNIX
>> admins exist?) makes.
>>
>> Adding a --never-replace-configfile option for dpkg should do the trick.

TL> What if the old configfile is incompatible with the new package?
TL> Let's say the configuration of inetd changes to look like that of
TL> xinetd :)

The admin has to take care of this. If I start a update on 20 boxes, I
clearly don't want to press y or n on every of them multiple times. So
I opt for "don't replace". On my model, every configfile comes from a
repository on a central server (so I can recreate a box easily after a
n accident), so I prepare then beforehand anyway.

[The mechanism of distribution the conffiles would do some
substitution like hostname etc.]

So, no problem.

Ciao,
	Martin