Re: list of goals?

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 04:05:47PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Unix has lots of fixed databases. /etc/passwd, /etc/aliases, etc. etc.
> What we need to do is define a list of standard interfaces (getpw*(),
> etc.) so we can have multiple implementations of the database.

Did this work with /etc/passwd? No. Try to modify the format of /etc/passwd.
BTW: That interface is very limited. I tried to write a few admin tools using
CGIs. I ended up modifying /etc/passwd and stuff directly :((

> The kind of database I proposed is *very* similar to how Unices
> currently handle database through /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Right. But nsswitch.conf is performance critical. You can't use a script to
look up a user id because it's just to slow. The configuration database is not
performance critical. We can easily use a script to obtain the information we
need.

> Wichert.

cu
    Torsten