Re: [Nbd] Yet another NBD server out there

Wouter,

On 12 Mar 2013, at 08:34, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 02:26:01PM +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:
>> Wouter,
>>
>> On 11 Mar 2013, at 13:28, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>>
>>> (note, I can't turn it into an LGPL library without reimplementing or
>>> sending out huge swaths of emails asking for permission, so it'll
>>> probably be GPL)
>>
>> I understand the issues here, but that would prevent it being used in
>> QEMU,
>
> On what do you base that statement? AIUI, qemu already is GPLv2, so this
> wouldn't be impossible for them.

Partly misremembering the QEMU licence.

I remembered it isn't GPLv2, but it's GPL, not BSD as I thought:
  http://wiki.qemu.org/License

I can't remember whether incorporating GPLv2
code into GPL code is possible or not. I /think/ not, I think it's
the other way around that works. So I think I might be technically
right, but not for the reasons I thought!

>> and was the whole reason I didn't do it myself and send the
>> code back (if you remember a period when I was sending rather a lot
>> of patches).
>>
>> If anyone would be interested, I have (well had) new-style negotiation
>> running completely non-blocking from a select loop, written from
>> the spec rather than the code (at least in part as I couldn't
>> figure out what the code was doing), as a state machine. I could look
>> into open sourcing this (we'd probably just MIT/BSD licence it). I don't
>> really have bandwidth to turn it into a library. It was mildly fiddly,
>> but I wouldn't classify it as difficult.
>
> It sounds interesting, yes, but I probably don't have the bandwidth
> myself.

OK. I may have a look at tidying it up.

--
Alex Bligh