Re: [Nbd] Yet another NBD server out there

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:42:23PM +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2013, at 12:18, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>
> > Every time someone reimplements nbd-server, I die a little inside.
>
> I think separating out the negotiation stuff, and possibly the
> packet processing stuff, into an LGPL library might increase the
> life expectancy of your internal organs then.

doc/todo.txt, 3rd point ;-)

(note, I can't turn it into an LGPL library without reimplementing or
sending out huge swaths of emails asking for permission, so it'll
probably be GPL)

> This would allow a simple 50 line program to run as an NBD server.

If done right, yes.

I think there could also be some benefit in having a plugin system,
actually. Anyway.

> There are various things like qemu-nbd (and something I wrote
> with a very different backend) which could use that happily.

Yes, indeed.

--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy requires you
to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once, add a voucher, and