Re: [Nbd] NBD 2.9.0-test1 released

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 04:01:43PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> The diff between 2.9 and 2.8 is fairly large, though, so it could use
> some testing. Especially the new configuration file stuff hasn't
> received much testing as of yet;

Okay, so that was an understatement :-)

There's a 2.9.0-test2 out now, where the config file parsing now
*doesn't* make nbd-server segfault anymore. How's that for updates? ;-)

[...]
> I'd especially be interested in thoughts on the config file format. If
> people have comments on things that could be done better, now would be
> a perfect time to receive those comments, as I can now still change
> things easily.

Still waiting for feedback here.

For those of you who may want to give feedback, but are too lazy to jump
through sf.net's file release hoops to get at the .tar.bz2, this is what
a config file can look like at this time:

# and ; are comment characters; they make everything be a comment up to
# the end of the line.
[generic]
	# The file consists of sections, each of which are delimited by
	# a name enclosed in []. The first section must be called
	# "generic". It does not allow any options yet at this point,
	# but I'm probably going to add some general options here before
	# 2.9 releases for real.
[somesection]
	# All other sections define exports. Their name is entirely up
	# to you; nbd-server does not care *at all* what the section is
	# called, *except* that it must be unique within the file.
	# An export section has two required options:
	exportname = /path/to/file # the name of the file that is to be
				   # exported
	port = 12345		   # The port we'll be listening on for
				   # this file
	authfile = /path/to/file   # correlates to nbd-server's -l option
	timeout = 30		   # -a
	filesize = 10000000	   # The size of the export (optional
				   # third non-option argument of
				   # nbd-server)
	readonly = yes		   # -r
	multifile = false	   # -m
	copyonwrite = true	   # -c

Obviously, only the "exportname" and "port" options are required;
everything else is optional.

Thoughts?

--
Fun will now commence