Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 05:32:53PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> As far as I can tell, none of the LSB programs (as far as the ISV sees)
> use these runlevels though. There's no "change-runlevel" command, and
> there doesn't seem to be any way for an ISV to say "please invoke my
> init script in these runlevels: .. .. ..". If it's just an implementation
> matter, it probably shouldn't be in the spec at all.

The one place where runlevels are specified are in the structured
comments at the beginning in init scripts.

So as Alan mentioned, yes, you could map those runlevels to different
values if you really wanted, and then have the install_initd script do
the right thing when making the rc?.d links.

Then the main way you might lose would be documentation and/or books
that make assumptions about runlevels.  (i.e, a Beginning Linux book
which talks about using "telinit 5" to enable XDM --- since that works
on basically all other mainline distributions except Debian.  But that
strictly speaking isn't an LSB issue.)

						- Ted