Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > their web pages are themselves (/var/www, file:/var/www/foo.html). It's
> > not unreasonable for software to want to send mail, but that would mean
> > it'd need to use /usr/sbin/sendmail, not write to /var/mail/* directly.
>
> Think about mail _client_ applications. Elm, mutt etc do need to know where
> mail lives and do write back to it

Mutt kindly asks you about where you keep your mail, IIRC - or does it
use $MAIL?  Either way, it doesn't matter - the point is that you do not
need to assume the location of the spool-directory.  In fact, I'd regard
a mail-client that can only deal with a default value to be, uhm,
suboptimal.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann