Re: URGENT [PROPOSAL] V3: lsb lib and lsb loader location (also IA64)

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 12:31:06PM +1000, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> Jim Knoble writes:
> >
> > I don't.  Perhaps there aren't systems yet that can act like more than
> > one 64-bit (or 32-bit) architecture, but that doesn't mean we should be
> > so short-sighted as to expect there never to be.  And is 'ia64'
> > different from whatever AMD's 64-bit architecture is called?  If they
> > are different, i think it possible, if not likely, that distributions
> > would want to include libraries for both architectures on the same
> > system (and hence call them different things).
>
> If they do need to have ia64 libraries and AMD 64 bit libraries
> installed concurrently[1] on the same system then we do need
> architecture specific names, but I query if this really is the case.
>
> If the distributions are going to need to distinguish between
> /lib/lsb-ia64 and say /lib/lsb-amd64 then are they also going to need
> /bin-ia64 and /bin/amd-64?

Surely it'd be wise to play on an existing convention (I don't know if
this is covered by the FHS or not) of:

/usr/<system-triplet>/lib

Something similar could easily be applied to the loader and C library
on the root partition (/lib/<system-triplet>/ ?)

This convention is, and has been for sometime, used pretty much everywhere,
and works well. Why re-invent the wheel and come up with *another* way
of distinguishing between libraries for different platforms.

--
Mo McKinlay                   mmckinlay@gnu.org           http://ekto.org
                Read http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt