Re: URGENT [PROPOSAL] V3: lsb lib and lsb loader location (also IA64)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Christopher Yeoh wrote:

> Johannes Poehlmann writes:
>

> >    lsb libraries native for this architecture
> >    runtime  libraries 	->      /lib/lsb
> >    Stub  libraries    	->      /usr/lib/lsb-stub
> >
> >    IA32 emulation libraries on non IA32 systems (IA64)
> >    runtime  libraries	->      /lib/lsb-ia32compat
> >    Stub	 libraries    	->      /usr/lib/lsb-stub-ia32compat
>
> Is there any need to embed the `ia' bit in the name? Why not just
> /lib/lsb32 (or /lib/lsb32compat though I don't think we even need the
> compat suffix). The same directories can then be used for sparc64 and
> ppc64 systems (no need to install both ia32 and ppc32 libraries on the
> same machine).

I very much like this generalization.

Another odd, but not impossible, scenario would be running ia32 apps, on
an Alpha system. How would this scheme handle that situation?

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team
Creative Applications Lab Chair - SIGGRAPH 2001