Re: Playing with the spec

På 2000-Mar-06 klokka 22:30:07 -0300 skrivet Jorge Godoy:

: But then, how would you deal with the problem of multiple DTDs? Let me
: say that I have documents based on DocBook DTD 2.4, DocBook DTD 3.0
: and DocBook DTD 3.1. Filenames are the same (http://www.nwalsh.com has
: a link to these). How would you separate them? If we replace the
: files and keep only DocBook DTD 3.1 then documents marked up with 2.4
: would be broken.

Hasn't this problem already been solved, with shared libraries?  Most
of them live in /usr/lib/, and they all have names with some sort of
version in them.  Libraries with backward-compatible ABIs have the same
major version number, and the latest one is used.  Libraries with
incompatible ABIs have differing major version numbers.

If mutually incompatible DTDs have the same filename, that's a bug.  It
should be fixed.

If a particular system administrator prefers that her DTDs and
stylesheets live in a `.../package-m.n.q/'-style hierarchy, then she is
perfectly welcome to use a symlink-manager (epkg and stow come to mind)
which handles such things.

That said, shouldn't this discussion move to a dedicated mailing list?
Somehow i doubt that lsb-spec is the right place for it.

--
jim knoble
jmknoble@pobox.com