Re: Playing with the spec

>>"Alan" == Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

 >> So far, this cuts both ways. In other words, this in no way
 >> mititgates against a single directory for all dtd's.

 Alan> The desire for users to have private categories does. The
 Alan> catalog needs a proper catalog editing script defined so that
 Alan> adding/removing them is sane

        Actuall;y, I think we have something better: We create the
 catalog from /etc/sgml/catalog.d/*.{def,usr}

        That directory contains catalog snippets, those installed by
 the system have the suffix 50foo.def. If there exists 50foo.usr, that
 snippet file is included instead.

        The prefix number is used to set an ordering (00aahead.def is
 the comment at the top of the catalog file, 99zzbot.def is the footer
 for the catalog file).

        So, removing foo's catalog is as simple as touch
 /etc/sgml/catalog.d/50foo.usr. Undeleting means just delete the file
 you touched.

        No hairy editing script.

        Easy addition and deletion of catalog file snippets.

        If peopel wish, I can send along the sources of the script
 that concatenates the snippets selectively (use blah.def unless
 blah.usr exists, inwhich case use the latter).

        Non-humans that edit files scare me. I'be been burned once to often.

        manoj
--
 Real Programmers don't eat quiche.  They eat Twinkies and Szechwan
 food.