Re: Playing with the spec

>>"Jorge" == Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> writes:

 Jorge> In SGML and similar tools we use the catalogs to specify which
 Jorge> file we are using. By using the correct public identifier,
 Jorge> your parser or converter or whatever can go to the correct
 Jorge> file. Using these catalogs it makes of no importance where are
 Jorge> your files (DTD, stylesheet, etc.).

        So far, this cuts both ways. In other words, this in no way
 mititgates against a single directory for all dtd's.

 Jorge> This specification is being suggested to easy the maintenance
 Jorge> and integration with other tools.

        As an end user fo the specification, I do not find the
 directory structure actually easing my task (I am involved in
 determining policy for one of the Linux distributions).

 Jorge> The suggested directories were using version numbers to
 Jorge> minimize the interference with original's filenames. We don't
 Jorge> want to patch already written catalogs so that they can look
 Jorge> at our directory and be correct.

        But this makes it harder for folks who already have local
 policies, and already massage the packages to fit into that local
 policy.

 Jorge> No using version numbers and placing all the files on the same
 Jorge> directory would be intrusive with new packages and with
 Jorge> already written ones. We'd have to, e.g., change all existing
 Jorge> docbook catalogs from the DTDs and stylesheets.

        I'd have to put that in perpective. It is possible that some
 catalog files for some packages would have to be changed anyway --
 there is no way the standard can accomodate all the DTD packages,
 past, present, and future (and not all package authors are going to
 automatically conform to this standard, espescially if we over
 specify requirements).

 Jorge> It's  common to find catalogs using relative paths. It's not specified
 Jorge> their root directory, but they use directories within where they are
 Jorge> or in some relative way that is common to have them installed. We'd
 Jorge> have to patch these too.

        How hard is it to actually change the catalogs? I can supply a
 simple little perl script that can easily handle the change.

 Jorge> Using version numbers to each DTD or stylesheet that we use is not too
 Jorge> hard to maintain and we can benefit from the already made catalogs
 Jorge> with little or none changes on it.

        And if docbook is all you are looking for, perhaps that is
 reasonable. But from the perpective of a distribution developer, this
 would mean a rapidly burgeoning dir structure that is not
 reasonable.

 Jorge> That was my main intention when I've suggested using version numbers.

        For the docbook people, this sounds reasonable. On a broader
 SGML/XML perpective, this is not.

        And if a few preinstalled vatalogfiles are all that we have to
 care about, I don't find this argument compelling at all.

        manoj
--
 .. I used to get in more fights with SCO than I did my girlfriend,
 but now, thanks to Linux, she has more than happily accepted her