Re: [PROPOSAL] Chapter 15. Users & Groups: mininal UID for normalUsers

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 07:57:24AM -0600, Julie wrote:

> [...]

Several dozens can reach hundread rather fast. Just kidding. I have
seen nearly 50 system users on a elder SuSE Linux system. But let
us not discuss "if the glass is half full or half empty" as
we say in Germany.
In fact the number of system users in Linux
is increasing for a couple of reasons. One is to get more fine granular
security. Example: Gnome wants a gdm user for its display manager.
Let us avoid arbitrary limits for future development.

> As a thought, someone might want to create a "Linux Reserved
> Number Registry" so that vendors can reserve UID/GID values and
> have some assurance that similarly concerned vendors won't expect
> that a specific UID/GID value will be available.

I do not propose to reserve UID/GID values for vendors. It is
about a forbidden "uid range" to keep in reserve for the case
that we have enough dozens of system users on some systems.
There is no need to standardize system user ids between Linux/Unix
flavours as system users typically are local users.

--
    /  ___/__/  /                 Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH