Re: [PROPOSAL] Chapter 15. Users & Groups: mininal UID for normal Users

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 11:54:38AM +0100, V man wrote:
> > > NEW
> > >         All normal users will be above the uid of 500.
> > > 	All normal groups will be above the gid of 100.

> We could be wiser and reserver all the uid beetwen/including 101 and 999
> to users.

The reason, why I do not propose to reserve the UID/GID range
from 100 to 999 is:

There is a common use to avoid normal users UID<500.

Standardizing this minimizes upgrade hazzles we had
when decreting 1000.
Just imagine what has to be done with a user on uid 500,
if you upgrade to a new System: This user must move to a
new uid, his files must get changed ownership etc.

As we are drafting a consensus standard, this would
mean to ask for extra work and/or long and pointless
discussions.

> but it is too inelegant, and uid above 1000 could be reserved for NIS.
This is a different issue and I see no need for LSB to standardize
NIS uids. Clearly it would be silly for a system administrator
to start NIS user IDs an 500  ;-)

--
    /  ___/__/  /                 Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH